In the fall of 2011, the Tooele County Health Department brought together various organizations and individuals to identify priority public health areas in Tooele County and develop a community health improvement plan. The group determined the following to be Tooele County’s greatest health concerns: Obesity, Substance Abuse, Diabetes, Lack of Physical Activity and Inadequate Access to Health Care. The Live Fit Tooele County program addresses three of these priorities: obesity, physical activity and diabetes prevention and control.
In August of 2012 a Live Fit Tooele County Coalition was formed to help with the implementation of the program. The coalition is working towards implementing measures and programs to improve/change policies and to create healthier environments to prevent Tooele County’s obesity rates (childhood, adolescent and adult) from increasing and to begin lowering the rates over time. All interested individuals and/or organizations are invited to participate.
Listed below are some of the goals of the program:
· Increase accessibility and availability of fresh produce year round in Tooele County.
Community physical activity:
· Develop partnerships to provide free/low-cost indoor exercise opportunities for county residents of all ages to use during cold winter months.
- The Dow James Building (350 W. 400 N., Tooele) is open for indoor walking from 6:00-10:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. Strollers are allowed but not bikes, scooters, roller blades, etc.
· County trails promotion
· Work with Tooele County Chamber of Commerce to encourage business owners to promote health through employee wellness programs. Encourage employers to allow exercise breaks.
· Promote walking to school (walking school buses).
· Work with food service programs to develop innovative ways to use the fresh fruit that students typically refuse to eat whole.
· Work with the school district Physical Education Program grant to encourage high schools to remain open to students one hour before/after school for physical fitness.
· Encourage physicians to use the Live Fit Tooele County prescription pads to encourage the 5-2-1-0 message: 5 fruits and veggies a day, 2 hours of TV time, 1 hour or more of physical activity, 0 sugary drinks.
· Encourage physicians to use the Live Fit Tooele County prescription pads that medical assistants or nurses could use to write in height and weight and then hand to the patient to calculate their Body Mass Index (BMI) while they wait for the doctor. The backside would include tips to reduce BMI. Include a QR code on the prescription pads and BMI posters in physicians’ offices to take people to this website.