The focus of the TOP STAR Program is to move childhood obesity prevention forward by working directly with our community. TOP STAR is sponsored by the Utah Department of Health.
Program Focus: TOP STAR focuses on promoting physical activity and nutrition, reducing screen-time, and supporting breastfeeding-friendly environments.
Program Goals: To help child care providers improve their nutrition and physical activity using the following tools:
- child care self-assessment
- goal- setting
- workshop training
- technical assistance from health department staff, and other local health professionals
Workshops If you would like to use these training’s to receive 10 hours of career ladder credit in level 1 Health & Safety or in levels 5-8, please contact Amy at (435) 277-2302 or email email@example.com to fill out the appropriate paperwork.
Please view to the workshops by clicking on the YouTube link. After completing all 6 workshops, you will need to complete the Online homework Top Star.
Please listen to the workshops by clicking on the YouTube link.
Supersizing Our Children- Childhood Obesity YouTube Childhood Obesity Workshop
Eat Right, Grow Strong -Nutrition for Young Children YouTube Nutrition for Young Children Workshop
Moving Children to Good Health- Physical Activity for Young Children YouTube Physical Activity Workshop
Stepping Toward a Healthy Lifestyle-Personal Health and Wellness YouTube Personal Health Workshop
Growing Healthy Kids Together-Working with Families to Promote Healthy Weight Behaviors YouTube Working With Families Workshop
How to Support a Breastfeeding Mother- A Guide for Childcare Providers YouTube Breastfeeding Workshop
- Building Blocks for Life: Monica (435)882-4038
- KIDS Academy Preschool: Christie (435)579-3562
- Liz’s Childcare: Liz (435)830-4580
- Smarty Pants Preschool/Day-care: Melanie (801)699-8933
- Kidsville Early Learning Center: Jenny (435)884-1234
- Little Apples Daycare Center: Stevie (435)830-0907
- Ready, Set, Grow Childcare & Preschool: Debbie (435)840-8006
TOP STAR program contact: For more information about TOP STAR in Tooele County please contact Amy, Public Health Educator at (435)277-2302 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources: Here’s your library of free, simple-to-use, proven resources, inspiring ideas, and practical tips for healthy eating and activity — all in one place. More resources are available at LetsMove.Gov Other helpful resources:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (from the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, USDA)
- ChooseMyPlate.gov (from the USDA)
- Grow It, Try It, Like It! Preschool Fun With Fruits and Vegetables (a garden-themed nutrition education kit from the USDA’s Team Nutrition)
- KidsHealth.org (from Nemours, with sections for parents, kids, teens, teachers, and content available in English and Spanish)
- Let’s Move!
- National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education
- Partnership for a Healthier America
- Sesame Workshop’s Healthy Habits (Check out the video of Michelle Obama with Elmo and “The Get Healthy Now Show,” by Nemours, KidsHealth, and Sesame Workshop.)
- We Can! (“Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity & Nutrition,” from the National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute)
- YMCA: Healthy Family Home
- For more information in Utah, please visit choosehealth.utah.gov