Food Handler Permits
“All food handlers must obtain a permit from a local health department before they are allowed to handle food which will be served to the public.” – R392-103- Food Handler Training and Certificate (click here to view the rule).
To obtain a permit, food service workers must attend the Food Handler Class held at the health department OR complete an approved Online Food Handler Class. See approved websites below.
Click here for the Food Handler Basics Handout.
For more information contact our office at (435)277-2440 or email@example.com
Food Handler applicants:
- held the 1st Tuesday of each month at 4:00 pm, register 20 minutes early in Suite 140
- the fee is $20.00 and picture I.D is required
- class starts promptly at 4:00 pm, late applicants will need to attend the next class
- class will last about 2 hours and you will receive your permit at the end of the class (upon passing the exam)
- permit is valid for 3 years
Online Class- The State of Utah offers online training through APPROVED VENDORS. Please be aware, there are many online outlets claiming to offer Utah Food handler cards at additional charges and fees. The Utah Department of Health maintains the list of approved vendors. Click here for a list of approved vendors (List as of 04/17/2017http://health.utah.gov/epi/community/sanitation/foodSafety/foodHandler_list.pdf ). Visit the Utah Dept. of Health website for a complete list.
Cards issued from online sources not on the state’s website will not be accepted.
Select from any of these approved online courses:
Online Training (Alphabetic order)
- 123 Premier Food Safety www.123PremierFoodSafety.com/UtahFoodHandlerCardPermit
- 360train.com(Learn2Serve)-Online Customer Support Number 877-881-2235 Sales Team Number 888-360-8764 www.360training.com
- AAA Food Handler – https://aaafoodhandler.com
- AboveTraining, Inc. / StateFoodSafety.com Customer Support – Phone: (801) 494-1416 Email firstname.lastname@example.org Sales Team – Phone (385) 208-4994 Email email@example.com www.statefoodsafety.com
- Ace Food Handler http://acefoodhandler.com
- Brigham Young University (Training available to BYU food service employees only)
- Easy Food Handlers https://easyfoodhandlers.com/
- eFoodhandlers, Inc www.utfoodhandlers.com/eFoodMain.aspx
- ServSafe Food Handler Training https://www.servsafe.com
- SafeWay Certifications/Responsible Training www.utahfoodhandlers.com
- Tap Series, LLC http://www.tapseries.com/usmap/states/UT/
- MenuTrinfo, https://www.allertrain.com/food-handler
Once you have completed the approved online course your Food Handler Permit card will be mailed to you within 30 days. You may use your certificate as your Food Handler Permit for 30 days from the date you pass the online course (see certificate details).
If you need to become certified as a FOOD SAFETY MANAGER click here for more information. This is a separate course than the Food Handler Course. If you have completed an approved food safety manager course you do not need to take the food handler course too however you need to register your Food Safety Manager certificate at the health department.