2017/2018 Radon Poster Contest
Radon is a gas that is naturally occurring in the environment. In Utah, 1 in 3 homes have elevated levels. This contest is designed to raise awareness for radon testing and to inform people of the danger of radon in their homes. It is simple and inexpensive to test your home for radon. Test kits are available at Radon.Utah.Gov for $8.95.
State Contest Winners will receive CASH AWARDS. There will be three first place winners receiving $100 and his/her teacher receives $100. There will be two more students that will receive $100 and a $100 for their teacher. These and they will meet with the governor to sign the Proclamation for the National Radon Month.
- October 20 – Entries due to DEQ (postmarked)
- October 30 – State Voting begins
- November 6 – State Voting ends
- November 17 – Winners announced
- January – Winners will meet with Governor during National Radon Action Month
Department of Environmental Quality
Division of Office of Policy and Planning
c/o Eleanor Divver
PO Box 144880
SLC, UT 84114-4880
Children aged 9-18 in grades 4-12 can participate in three categories.
The categories will be Grades: 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12
Only one vote per household is allowed!
Poster Topics –Choose from the Following Five Topics
- What is radon?
- Where does radon come from?
- How does radon get into our homes?
- Radon can cause lung cancer
- Test your home for radon
- White paper
- Poster size must be 11” X 17” – OR – 8.5” X 11”
- No student names on front of the poster
- Include a title on the front
- Topic and title must be on back page of artwork
- Posters can be created with crayon, markers, paint, and pencil
- Cannot use copyrighted logos – will be immediately disqualified
- Content accuracy
- Visual communication of topic
- Ability to reproduce